Create an account

Virtual Cockpits for new aircraft

Hi all,

Are any of you clever sods out there working on virtual cockpits for the new planes - Kittyhawk, Tomahawk etc??

I have got so used to using it that trying to keep eyes on the actual dash instruments is a problem  - I will get used to it!

Any help appreciated.

Great flying in the desert!

Regards

Biker

Ignore this post below. Its looking at the wrong folder. I'll update this once I've got it sorted.

----vvvv---- all bad info ----vvvvv----

I've been looking through the files for the original Spit/Hurri.  The intention is to alter the temperatures at which the temperature gauge changes colors, and at which the warning bubbles start flashing to fit the temps of the Spit Vb.  Its a challenging set of code to interpret, because you don't change a value from, say, 120 degrees to 135.  Instead, it seems to be based on a percentage of whatever the maximum is, which does not seem to be defined anywhere I can see.  Take a look at this excerpt from "virtualcockpit/cockpits/spitfire IIa/_OilTemp.ini"
Code:
  Indicator{
       Class = Indicator;
       Left = 60;
       Top = 120;
      Width = 30;
      Height = 30;
      ParamType = I_EngineOilTemp;
      ParamSubtype = 1;
      MinValue = 0;
      MaxValue = 100;
      Ranges{
         Low{
            MaxValue = 40;
            Shape{{Class = Ellipse; Center = 15/15; Radius = 10; Color = $FF0000FF}}
         }
         Norm{
            MinValue = 40.0001;
            MaxValue = 90;
            Shape{{Class = Ellipse; Center = 15/15; Radius = 10; Color = $FF00FF00}}
         }
         High{
            MinValue = 90.0001;
            MaxValue = 95;
            Shape{{Class = Ellipse; Center = 15/15; Radius = 10; Color = $FFB0B000}}
         }
         VeryHigh{
            MinValue = 95.0001;
            Shape{{Class = Ellipse; Center = 15/15; Radius = 10; Color = $FFFF0000}}
         }
I think what we want to adjust is under the ranges section, specifically the minvalue and maxvalue.  Those numbers obviously don't track with what we see in the gauge.  Since I can't find anywhere in the virtual cockpit files where that maximum is defined, and since I don't have access to the code that Cliffs uses, my assumption going forward is that those values are percentages of the maximum value that is written on the gauge in game. 

Once I'm reasonably certain of the maximum value of this temperature for the new Spits (again, this should be a simple matter of just reading it off the dial if my assumption is correct), the next step will be to determine the exact temperature at which the engines becomes damaged. 

Then, provided that MinValue and MaxValue are actually percentages, I'll do some math stuff and plug in the new numbers.